HOPES FADE FOR THE MISSING CHILD HOLIDAY-MAKER
By Laura
Cornwall was battered last night by a force 9 gale which was the most ferocious in twenty years. Unfortunately, a young girl who was holidaying with her family, went missing at Boat Cove.
Cherry, 11, was staying with her family in a granite cottage in a little village in the west. The family were regular holiday makers and had been coming to Cornwall for the last fifteen years. Joshua, the youngest of Cherry’s four older brothers, was the first to notice that she was not there after the family returned from the trip to the beach, Boat Cove. Cherry had been collecting shells for a necklace when she must have been consumed by the waves.
Police Inspector James Harley is leading the investigation. The cove has been closed off to the public and the secluded beach has already uncovered some of the mystery. Cherry’s towel and shells have been recovered a nook in the rocks a quarter of the way up the cliffs. Experts now say that Cherry was obviously cut off from the path back to the cove so obviously tried climbing the cliffs. It is believed that she was then swept off the rocks by rough waves. Chances of finding her alive are slim. The Coastguards are still patrolling ten miles along the coast but they have found nothing.
Inspector James Harley introduced the distraught family at the Press Report and Cherry’s mother spoke through her tears; “My only daughter is gone, I feel guilty and irresponsible. Most of all I feel I have been an unsuitable mother to my children. I should have stayed on the beach with her!”
Cherry’s father is so shocked that he is unable to speak, and his family believe that he is in denial and even set his daughter’s place at the breakfast table this morning. Her four older brothers have said in interviews that they adored their sister and are devastated.
The tourist community are in shock and many holiday makers are leaving early to return home as more freak weather is forecasted. The quiet village had got to know the family over the fifteen years they had been returning and villagers are keen to erect a shrine to remember Cherry, who many agree was a lovely girl who enjoyed her holidays in Cornwall.
Sunday, 20 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I almost believed that this had happened and I was very concerned for the family! A fantastic piece of writing - you're clearly a very accomplished writer. Well done! :)
Laura, I was very moved by your newspaper report. You captured the emotions of all concerned. Will you be writing a follow-up to say what happens to Cherry? I will certainly be presenting your writing to my class when we focus upon a newspaper report. Well done.
Rachel Orr
Opera Diva
What a super reprt. I live by the sea in Cornwall and know how dangerous it can suddenly become in freak conditions. I will definitely be sharing your fantastic report with my class. Well done, you should be very proud of yourself.
Mrs KSG
Dear rachel,
Thank you for your comment. To answer your question no I will not be writing a follow up report.
I like to leave my readers hanging.
Laura
Post a Comment